The meaning of Azarias in the Bible
(From International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)
az-a-ri'as Azarias and Azareias:
(1) Azarias, who put away his "strange wife" (1 Esdras 9:21); compare Uzziah (Ezra 10:21).
(2) Azarias, who stood at the right side of Ezra when the law was read to the people (1 Esdras 9:43); omitted in Ezra 8:4.
(3) Azarias, who interpreted the law to the people (1 Esdras 9:48); compare Azariah (Nehemiah 8:7).
(4) Azarias, a name assumed by the angel Raphael (Tobit 5:12; 6:6,13; 7:8; 9:2).
(5) Azarias, a general in the service of Judas Maccabee (1 Macc 5:18,56,60).
(6) Azarias, one of the three men thrown into the fiery furnace (The Son. of the Three Children (Azariah) verses 2,66); compare Azariah (Daniel 1:6 ff.; Daniel 2:17), Abed-nego (Daniel 1:7; Daniel 2:49; Daniel 3:12 ff.).
A. L. Breslich
DISCLAIMER: Church of the Great God (CGG) provides these resources to aid the individual in studying the Bible. However, it is up to the individual to "prove all things, and hold fast to that which is good" (I Thessalonians 5:21). The content of these resources does not necessarily reflect the views of CGG. They are provided for information purposes only.