Strong's #2605: Chanan (pronounced khaw-nawn')
from 2603; favor; Chanan, the name of seven Israelites:--Canan.
Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon:
Canan or Hanan = "he is merciful"
1) one of the chief people of the tribe of Benjamin
2) last of the 6 sons of Azel, a descendant of Saul
3) son of Maachah, one of David' s mighty warriors
4) father of some sons who returned from exile with Zerubbabel
5) one of the Levites who assisted Ezra in his public exposition of the law
6) one of the heads of the people who also sealed the covenant with Nehemiah
7) another of the chief laymen who also sealed the covenant with Nehemiah
8) son of Zaccur, grandson of Mattaniah whom Nehemiah made one of the storekeepers of the provisions collected as tithes. Same as 5 ?
9) son of Igdaliah
Part of Speech: noun proper masculine
Relation: from H2603
This word is used 12 times:
1 Chronicles 8:23: "And Abdon, and Zichri, and Hanan,"
1 Chronicles 8:38: "and Ishmael, and Sheariah, and Obadiah, and Hanan. All these were the sons of Azel."
1 Chronicles 9:44: "and Ishmael, and Sheariah, and Obadiah, and Hanan: these were the sons of Azel."
1 Chronicles 11:43: " Hanan the son and Joshaphat the Mithnite,"
Ezra 2:46: "of Shalmai, the children of Hanan,"
Nehemiah 7:49: "The children of Hanan, of Giddel, the children of Gahar,"
Nehemiah 8:7: "Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people"
Nehemiah 10:10: "Kelita, Pelaiah, Hanan,"
Nehemiah 10:22: "Pelatiah, Hanan,"
Nehemiah 10:26: "And Ahijah, Hanan,"
Nehemiah 13:13: "the Levites, Pedaiah: and next to them was Hanan the son of Zaccur, the son"
Jeremiah 35:4: "into the chamber of the sons of Hanan, the son of Igdaliah, a man of God,"